Wednesday, October 29, 2014

In the Works and Preservatives (again)

It's been rather difficult thinking about products for fall and winter, when it feels summery or spring-like here in the Bay Area. I have a few items I will post soon for the fall, plus some wintery items. These were my favorite seasons when I lived in New England, with the changing leaves and then the snow. I don't miss the summers there though- hot and humid.

I will be introducing a few body sprays that use hydrosols in the next few weeks, and since these have water, I will be using preservatives. At first I wanted to to avoid preservatives, mostly because I wanted to say all of my products are preservative free. But that's silly. One is derived from radishes- Leucidal (Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate), and the other is potassium sorbate, a food grade preservative. I'm also using alcohol in some products, because I really don't want anything growing in them. 

I do microbial testing on the products, and so far everything looks good- nice and clear, with zero growths. Preservatives are better than any of the nasty things that can grow on those slides.

No comments:

Post a Comment