Friday, October 17, 2014

Photos

I realize I'm a bit strange at this point, with everyone whipping out their cell phones to take pictures of this, that, and the other thing. But after going to a wedding across the country and visiting my friends, I only had one new picture on my phone.

One of the worst business books ever.
I saw the books in the bargain section of the used bookstore, turned to my friends to make a joke, but then realized none of them would get it. So I snapped it and sent it on to a friend that would get it.

My friends had taken plenty of pictures, and at the wedding there was a photographer, so I figured I would just enjoy things and let them deal with the photos.

10 years ago I went to London and Paris. I took quite a few pictures in London, and started taking them in Paris. I realized something seemed off about my camera in Paris, and it turns out the film never loaded properly, and I had no pictures. I was upset at first, but decided not to make a big deal out of it. My camera was still acting up, and I didn't feel like buying a disposable camera- disposable is just such a nasty word, when you think of it. I enjoyed the rest of my time in Paris camera-free.

I realize a film camera seems like an antique to some people at this point, but I hadn't gone digital yet.

After that trip I stopped taking so many pictures. For me I enjoy my time better when I'm looking around me, absorbing the sites, the sounds, the smells. I know there are people out there that just really love taking pictures, and that's fine. But ask yourself if you're spending too much time worrying about the perfect picture instead of living in the moment. Plus, chances are if you're with a group of people, one of them will be a shutterbug and snap away.

So far I do the product photography for Ivre de Fleurs, and I must admit I hate it. I'll be outsourcing some of it soon, since try as I might, I'm just not a great photographer. Plus the natural light I get is pretty dismal.

No comments:

Post a Comment